Finding advice: Mental Health

To mark Mental Health Awareness Week in May 2015 (#MHAW15) we have put together this blog.

There is a lot of support for people affected by mental health but it can be difficult to find your way through the options. Here is a list of ideas that may help you.

Crisis Help

If you’re feeling suicidal, in crisis or finding it difficult to cope, the following numbers may be helpful:

  • Avon and Wiltshire Partnership (Mental Health NHS): 01225 325680,
  • Mind Infoline: 0300 123 3393 or text 86463,
  • National Dementia Helpline: 0300 222 1122, 9am-8pm Mon-Wed, 9am-5pm Thu-Fri, 10am-4pm Sat-Sun,
  • No Panic Helpline: 0844 967 4848, 10am-10pm daily,
  • Rethink: 0300 5000 927, 10am-2pm Mon-Fri,
  • Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90, 24 hours a day,
  • SANE Mental Health Helpline: 0300 304 7000, 6pm-11pm daily,
NHS – GP or crisis team:

If you are already in touch with local mental health services, you can contact your GP or crisis team. Even if it is out of hours, there will be an answer phone message advising you of whom to contact in an emergency, together with other useful telephone numbers.

If you feel suicidal and would like to see a professional urgently, your local hospital accident and emergency department might be worth visiting. There will be a duty psychiatrist available to assess people’s needs and assist in finding the necessary support. You could also phone NHS  Choices on 111. More info >

North Somerset Social Services:
  • The North Somerset Crisis Team: 01934 836 467 (Patient must have previously been referred to this service by GP or Mental Health Service Organisation)
  • North Somerset Council Out of Hours: 01934 622 669
  • North Somerset Emergency Social Services: 01454 615 165

More info >

Help for someone other than yourself:

In an emergency, if you are concerned about the well-being of a relative or friend and feel they are mentally unwell and are putting themselves or somebody else at risk, you could try contacting their local social services emergency duty team, the home-intervention and crisis team or the police (The numbers are given above). If it is appropriate a social worker on duty will arrange for a mental health assessment. Relevant contact numbers should be available in a local telephone directory, or on the local Primary Care Trust website.

You can also phone their GP, there will be an out of hours or emergency number on their answer machine.

Other Help – National

Local Organisations from Our Website: